d> Customer Service: Crazy Customers: A few minutes can MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Monday, January 21, 2013

A few minutes can MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

It's been a while since my last post (I'm a lazy asshole, sorry!). However something happened recently that blew my mind and it's actually a serious subject I'd like to touch on.

A few weeks ago I had a customer (just some random total stranger) who was really upset. Long story short, someone he cared about a lot had betrayed him.  I just stood there quietly and listened to his (longgg) story. To be perfectly honest, my short attention span (probably from smoking to much weed) zoned out a few times while he was talking(but I'm still good at making it look like I'm paying attention when I'm not).At the end I gave him my honest opinion on his situation. He said I was the first person to be that blunt with him and he appreciated my honesty.

He came in a few more times after that night, he was lonely and liked chatting with me while I rang up his stuff.  He told me how he had no family, no one to talk to and just felt completely alone. I sympathize for him. Over the past 8 years I've had a few severe bouts of depression and I completely understand what its like to feel like you are completely alone in the world. For a while I actually believed it was better for me to isolate myself because I "wasn't worthy" of being around other people. That was just my fucked up belief.  Today I still struggle with depression but it wasn't until recently, after years of surrendering to it, I finally started to fight back.

I saw him again a few days ago, he hadn't come to the store to buy anything he said he just wanted to thank me. Confused I asked him for what? He said that I had stopped him from committing suicide
(O_o)
At first I thought "Wait, I did? I'm just some cashier you don't really know. How could I had made that kind of influence?" I didn't really feel like I had done anything. I mostly just stood there and let him talk. After further thinking about it I though "Isn't that something everyone needs, someone to be there for them when they're alone?"

One of the problems in the world today is that no one usually cares about anything but their own problems. So remember just taking a few minutes to simply listen can make THE difference!

There are so many stupid hashtags on Twitter, please take a minute to make a difference by spreading this message!
#FEWMINUTESMAKEADIFFERENCE

No comments:

Post a Comment