d> Customer Service: Crazy Customers: Donations & AsshoLeS

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Donations & AsshoLeS

This month my store is taking donations for ALS (the disease Stephen Hawking has) and Cystic Fibrosis research. A message pops up on the register when I'm checking them out. People tend to be rude when asked if they want to spend there money on other people. I'll say "Would you like to donate-" and I'm cut off with a "no" before I even finish the sentence. I understand if you don't want to donate but you could at least let me finish the sentence asshole. Is common courtesy too much to ask for these days? It's sad when I actually do ask, and I'm thanking people for letting me finish a sentence.

Last night a kid came through my line, and after his receipt printed he asked if we were doing any donations. I was shocked because no one ever wants to donate when I ask. By this point I'd stopped asking and just hit no when the message pops up. I told him about our stores current donations and he bought a piece of candy just so he could donate $3. I was moved by the small act of kindness and I told him how I had given up asking people because all I got was rude replies. He laughed and said "I was sent here to tell you not to give up" and left. I started asking again after he left and actually got a few donations. So lesson of the day: not every customer is a selfish asshole.

No comments:

Post a Comment